Fashion retailer fined for fire safety offences

Fashion retailer Jack Wills Limited has been fined £27,000 after pleading guilty to six offences under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

The case – heard at York Magistrates Court on 13 December – followed an inspection by fire safety officers when a notification of deficiencies was issued to the company to improve fire safety standards and management. Read more »

Posted in Health & Safety News | Leave a comment

National retailer fined for fire safety offences

Martin Mcoll Ltd has been ordered to pay more than £21,000 after pleading guilty to five charges under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

The prosecution was brought following a fire at the property in Montague Road, Southampton on 1 October 2010. Officers from Fire and Rescue Service found breaches of the legislation which included: Read more »

Posted in Health & Safety News | Leave a comment

Snow is here. Preparing for the winter!

Let’s avoid slipping and falling!

Winter is here and Employers and controllers of property need to look at and assess the foreseeable hazards and resultant risks that are on our very own door step.

You will need to prepare for heavy frost, snow & ice. Read more »

Posted in General Risk Assessments, Health & Safety News | 1 Comment

Disabled child nearly drowned in school swimming pool

A local authority has been fined £20,000 after a child with severe learning and physical difficulties almost drowned in his school’s swimming pool.

The nine-year-old boy was taking part in a swimming session at Harlow Fields School and College, when the incident took place on 23 March last year.

The class was not being properly supervised and when he was pulled out of the pool he was blue in colour. He needed resuscitation and subsequently came round at the poolside. Read more »

Posted in Health & Safety News | 2 Comments

Residents evacuated in city centre blaze

A number of residents had to be led to safety as a fire in a bakery threatened people living above it.

Crews were called to the incident in St James Street near its junction with Princess Street in central Manchester at around 7.30am in the morning. Firefighters in breathing apparatus were tackling the fire with jets and hose reels. Read more »

Posted in Health & Safety News | Leave a comment

Blaze on London’s Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge in London was closed after a van caught fire on the bridge.

Elle Than who was driving across the bridge and who took a picture said on Twitter:

“Long delay coming north over Tower Bridge, the engine of a small van was blazing. The heat was intense as we drove past – didn’t stop pedestrians taking photos!”

London Fire Brigade confirmed they sent one engine to the fire which was brought under control shortly after 9.30am.

Posted in Health & Safety News | Leave a comment

Garden centre charged with corporate manslaughter

The Crown Prosecution Service has charged a Norfolk garden nursery with corporate manslaughter in relation to the death of an employee two years ago.

Grzegorz Krystian Pieton died on 15 July 2010 from an electric shock, caused when the metal hydraulic-lift trailer he was towing came into contact with an overhead power line. The incident occurred in Terrington St Clement, at Belmont Nursery, which is run by PS & JE Ward Ltd, based in King’s Lynn. Read more »

Posted in Health & Safety News | Leave a comment

Sanding machine was not modified for school pupils

An 11-year-old pupil suffered serious injuries when his hand was trapped in a bench sanding machine during a class at a school in Solihull.

On 6 October last year, the boy was using the machine during a design and technology lesson at Alderbrook School. He was sanding the edges of a piece of acrylic material as part of a project to create a wind chime. Read more »

Posted in Health & Safety News | Leave a comment

Swimmers exposed to deadly gas at leisure centre.

Two companies have been ordered to pay £120,000 in fines and costs between them after nine people were hospitalised when they were exposed to chlorine gas at a swimming pool in Staffordshire.

The incident took place at the Nuffield Health Fitness and Wellbeing Centre in Cannock on 7 March 2009. Honeywell Control Systems Ltd was contracted to provide ongoing maintenance of the pool plant, and on the day of the incident one of its engineers was attempting to top up the day tank, which releases a disinfectant into the pool. Read more »

Posted in Health & Safety News | Leave a comment

School caretaker disabled in fall days before retirement

A caretaker has been left with life-changing injuries after he fell four metres through a roof at a school in Bradford five days before his retirement.

David O’Hanlon, 62, had worked at Beckfoot School in Bingley for eight years but decided to take early retirement when the site was closed and replaced by a new facility. He agreed to stay on to supervise the clearance of the old building and to ensure all classrooms were empty.??On 22 June last year, he was putting a new light bulb in a roof void of the old building so he could empty it safely before demolition. He stepped on to an un-boarded area of the ceiling, which gave way beneath him, and he fell four metres to the hall below. Read more »

Posted in Health & Safety News | Leave a comment